Transmedia storytelling is a tool that advertises utilize across multiple media platforms. The difference in the case of advertising is that the story is different. While common transmedia storytelling contains a plot, unique characters, and such, the story that advertisers and marketers tell through transmedia is a message that a company would like associated with what their brand means. In my business communications course we are learning about the importance of a company's brand image, or their overall reputation in the eyes of its stakeholders. How advertisements utilize transmedia storytelling across platforms influences how a consumer views a company, using transmedia storying in a captivating, creative way, creates a positive outlook on a company, while using it in a repetitive, distasteful form could harm a company's brand image.
Thinking back to the SuperBowl ads, when we consider what makes a quality commercial, emotion conveyed through a story is key. The extra gum advertisements have done a great job at this. Even in 30 seconds, viewers are able to quickly grasp the plot, meaning, and entertainment value of a commercial. These ads make viewers feel something, and in doing so, the brand is further retained in a viewers mind; With extra gum, you get a little extra.
I really like your approach to this topic. As just a media studies major, I often forget about the technical business side of things, so it was nice to see it brought back into the forefront. I also really liked your example of the extra gum commercial (the first time I saw it I cried- fun fact!). I think it is an awesome example to use because it really does follow the typical story narrative but it does it in a 30 second block. That was one example that I didn't really think of before you brought it up!
ReplyDeleteYour definition of transmedia storytelling really helped me understand the term better! I also enjoyed your approach to this topic. I had never thought about relating transmedia storytelling to the Super Bowl ads, which is ironic as the Super Bowl is one of the most watched sporting events in the world.
ReplyDeleteYES! I think Extra does a great job with storytelling in their commercials. When the last gum commercial came out (about the boy and girl who get engaged at the end) it was all over my friends Facebook walls and chatted about in the dining hall by others. That I think is a perfect way for people to make associations with a product. They can associate gum with these commercials and apply the storylines in these commercials to their own lives.
ReplyDeleteKate, I totally agree with you. Since I am interested in advertising this chapter made me understand transmedia story telling in a more clear way. We use multiple forms of media as tools. I also liked your point about transmedia being used for companies to get their band message out. I also agree that if companies do not use the tool of transmedia in an appropriate way, it could hurt the company/brand.
ReplyDelete